Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MalunEri
    • Sep 2015

Re: Weakspots?

Yeah, I dislike oxidated balloons, so I usually get rid of them when I think they start to look ugly and feel funny, usually after a week.
    I keep them on my bed usually, my bedroom is cold, on the north side of the house (no direct sunlight), and always have thick curtains, so its no light in there most the time.

But guess I should start checking them for weaknesses more often. I don't want one to pop on me while I sleep.
    I don't blow them very tight when I want them to last for days, though, sleeping with a fully necked balloon freaks me out.

Comment

• Loonerportland
      • Aug 2016

I've always had fear about weak spots. I usually stop blowing and go in to the next one if I see something.

Comment

• Ryan556
        • Sep 2016

Yep I've definitely have had bad experiences with weak spots. My most recent experience was a few weeks ago, I was blowing up a gl 900 and I kept turning the electric blower on and off to make sure the gl was shaped right. Well when it was halfway done I kept hearing a small hissing sound which then I saw the hole. For how big it was I'm still shocked that it didn't just blow up on me. I just deflated it after and threw it out. Still kinda bummed since I've only gotten to try the gl 500 and 700 so far.

Comment

• someloonerguy
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Ryan556
          Yep I've definitely have had bad experiences with weak spots. My most recent experience was a few weeks ago, I was blowing up a gl 900 and I kept turning the electric blower on and off to make sure the gl was shaped right. Well when it was halfway done I kept hearing a small hissing sound which then I saw the hole. For how big it was I'm still shocked that it didn't just blow up on me. I just deflated it after and threw it out. Still kinda bummed since I've only gotten to try the gl 500 and 700 so far.
          It's possible that the hole could have been patched. If I recall, you clean the area around the hole real well, then use (I think) rubber cement to glue a piece of another balloon over it. Hold the patch down onto the balloon with a spoon and put some weight on it. Wait for a couple of hours before trying to inflate it. I had a Geo Blossom that I tried this with some years ago and when I tried to blow it up the chamber that the hole was in actually inflated. It popped because of another defect when the next chamber started to inflate though (I know it was a different defect because the area around the patch didn't tear, it was on an entirely different part of the balloon.

Comment

• Ryan556
            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by someloonerguy
            It's possible that the hole could have been patched. If I recall, you clean the area around the hole real well, then use (I think) rubber cement to glue a piece of another balloon over it. Hold the patch down onto the balloon with a spoon and put some weight on it. Wait for a couple of hours before trying to inflate it. I had a Geo Blossom that I tried this with some years ago and when I tried to blow it up the chamber that the hole was in actually inflated. It popped because of another defect when the next chamber started to inflate though (I know it was a different defect because the area around the patch didn't tear, it was on an entirely different part of the balloon.
            Interesting, didn't know that, thanks for the tip! Haven't thrown it out yet so I'll try fixing it soon!

Comment

• palloncino90
              • Jan 2018

I threw a lot of balloons about weak spots. I always thought that I was the only one, I'm a bit happy to hear you. Such as many of you, I stopped my inflating thousands times, about pinholes, bad shape, uniform color... Probably 90% og them were harmless, but I just ran away.
              I want to live surrounded of big and colorful balloons

Comment

• sp_jp
                • Mar 2022

Hi. Sorry for posting on an old thread. Can anyone share a picture about what a "church window" is? As an non english native person, I cant understand what exactly is. As a non popper who loves to inflate until max, im always super scared about that weakspot as I don't know what is it (I always use Qualatex 16'' looking for max quality since is almost imposible to find Tuftex here in Spain, I really want to try one of these).

Thank you very much!

Comment

• balloonPatcher
                  • Jun 2020

Attached are some photos of a window or weak spot.
                  I patch these weak spots with latex cut from another broken balloon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Casey88
                    lukmanrewa
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by sp_jp
                    Hi. Sorry for posting on an old thread. Can anyone share a picture about what a "church window" is? As an non english native person, I cant understand what exactly is. As a non popper who loves to inflate until max, im always super scared about that weakspot as I don't know what is it (I always use Qualatex 16'' looking for max quality since is almost imposible to find Tuftex here in Spain, I really want to try one of these).

Thank you very much!
                    its very rare to have church windows/weakspots in Q16s

Comment

• sp_jp
                      • Mar 2022

Thank you a lot! Those photos were really helpful.

I know is hard to find weakspots on Q16, but im so scared about random pop that I discard a lot of balloons that probably were ok even for overinflation, so I just want to know a bit more about those weakspots to stop discarting them. One thing i've noticed a lot, especially in the ligher colors, is something like.. the color fading? Like on realy big areas, often near the neck (I can send a picture later) I dont know if that's just a color problem that doesn't affect the latex for overinflation, or if it is a thinner area that can hurt the balloon.

Edit: adding a photo
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by sp_jp; 19-04-2022, 14:54. Reason: Adding photo

Comment

• Casey88
                        lukmanrewa
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by sp_jp
                        Thank you a lot! Those photos were really helpful.

I know is hard to find weakspots on Q16, but im so scared about random pop that I discard a lot of balloons that probably were ok even for overinflation, so I just want to know a bit more about those weakspots to stop discarting them. One thing i've noticed a lot, especially in the ligher colors, is something like.. the color fading? Like on realy big areas, often near the neck (I can send a picture later) I dont know if that's just a color problem that doesn't affect the latex for overinflation, or if it is a thinner area that can hurt the balloon.

Edit: adding a photo
                        In my opinion, judging by the photo I think this is quite an old balloon where the latex is breaking up already. Not sure if its safe though for overinflation.

Comment

• Meililoon
                          aka lyckr
                          • Sep 2014

What Casey said. I've seen this on a lot of old Tuf-Tex and it's not a good thing on them. Not sure about Qtex though. I remember seeing something similar on the necks of Q24s, but it never seemed to be an issue then, so might be a different thing.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                            • Jun 2015

I assume MalunEri, that you are asking about weak spots on fresh new balloons out of the packet. I also check against a light source for weak spots and have found that the ones you are calling 'pinholes' are not in fact pinholes with the air escaping but the ones where a darker ring about the size of a pin head filled in by lighter coloured latex, mainly near the drip point, shows up. I have found that they are not too dangerous, me with a terrific phobia would not be able to blow any more than the two/three breaths, but now after numerous times I've blown balloons up with this type of weak spot, I'm ok at blowing to rated size. Not had one pop yet, in fact I've noticed that the weak spot fades away the bigger the balloon grows.

In the hope I'm not showing off, with eye & ear protection, I've blown a balloon up this morning to the size so that the neck is fully inflated. Only 1/4 to 1/2 inch of un-inflated neck, had a struggle to stretch the neck to tie it off. The weak spot at the drip point has more or less disappeared. this was about 3/4 hour ago, I'm waiting for the bang, but playing and squeezing the solid, tight balloon and it still hasn't popped. So those type of weak spot are tougher than you think. I can't verify any other weakness you mentioned as I've not tried them yet.
                            Best of luck mate.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                              • Jun 2015

Coming back again after a week of trials. I've been blowing Belbal 14"clears. Fearful phobic/non-poppers usually inspect for weak spots after each breath and if we see a weak-spot, stop blowing and either discard the balloon or play with what we've got. Whereas poppers, especially a b2p guy will start blowing continuously until the BANG. So we think, why has this guy not got weak spots in his balloon? It probably has, but as latex is tougher than we think, it will take more stretching. This I proved by watching a couple of guys on youtube blow their Belbal 14" clear up to beyond rated size of 14" creating a good long neck which we think is max. But then they blow at least 18 or more good blows in before it bursts.
                              So phobic non-poppers blow it bigger, it will take it. Of course there will be an occasional early pop, but this is more likely be an actual hole in the latex rather than a weak-spot.
                              I hope this helps you to get more out of your balloon fun. Happy blowing.

Comment

• Viper
                                Back me up, Vito!
                                • Jun 2021

I always dreaded the pinholes myself. And it was always on the color that I wanted to play with. But quite honestly, I've only had a problem once with these pinhole defects where it was actually a real pinhole and the air started leaking from it. It immediately was deflated as quickly as possible and thrown away. But others that you can see the pinhole in it but it doesn't actually leak...I often wondered if it was really a pinhole or if it was actually just a defect in the coloration itself. When manufactured, can the color separate from the mixture? I mean, even coffee with milk in it can start to separate a bit if it sits long enough. So if it really a defect or just a byproduct of separation? Only a very few times was I brave enough to keep going and even though the spot grew bigger, it didn't really seem like it was an actual hazard. Pressing on it, it didn't feel weak so I dunno. I don't blow up my balloons beyond what they were meant to though. I love small necks but I'm still too chicken for that.

Now I don't recall seeing this but I've also had line defects as well but not because of the mold...yet it seems like if they've been folded over in the bag and just sat like that for a while. I noticed that when you blow them up, they're like the pinhole defects where it's extremely light across the crease but sometimes if you look at it closely, it almost looks as if the latex is starting to break down over that area. So I don't know how dangerous those are if it's just enough another cosmetic defect or if it's actually breaking down. I always bought my balloons from our local grocery store because at the time, it was the one place where just about no one knew me so I could buy balloons slightly more comfortably there. With that being said, they weren't your top shelf brand either. I wish I could remember what the brand name was but I'd say generally about 75% were usable whereas the remaining 25% were questionable at times.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎