X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scuba
    • Jan 2017

The power of a balloon

I have a bit of a strange question.
    Has anyone of you ever thought about how much power a balloon actually has. The air inside the balloon is a hidden power.
    It's what makes us able to bounce on the balloon and also what makes it buoyant if it is floating on water. If you are able to get onto a balloon in water it doesn't have to be very large to make you float. That's one of the powers that I talk about.
    The elasticity of the latex that the balloon is made of is also very powerful. It's what makes us able to bounce on the balloon, but it has surprised me how strong a balloon can be. If you for example you climb leg first into a 72" climb in balloon and pull the neck of the balloon up to your stomach and inflate it the neck of the balloon around your stomach will pull you from the ground when the balloon gets bigger and bigger. I'm not kidding I have done it several times. That's a lot of power in a balloon.
    Last edited by scuba; 02-12-2017, 08:58.
  • Bubble Boy :-P

Re: The power of a balloon

BALLOON POWER! Lol! If i was a super hero that would totally be my ability! But yes I see what you mean, Scuba...balloons actually do contain a lot of power. The tension in the latex of a tightly inflated balloon, the buoyancy of a blown up balloon, as well as thrust when deflating a balloon which is the same principle as jet propulsion...I wonder if there is any hard scientific, mathematical data on the stored power of balloons? I just may research that! I'm curious!

Comment

• scuba
      • Jan 2017

That's was exactly what I thought about.
      For example the buoyancy of each balloon can really be felt if you play with modeling balloons in water. It feels powerful.
      And also the elastic power of the balloon when you are playing on it.
      It could be fun to do some research in this subject.
      Last edited by scuba; 02-12-2017, 21:51.

Comment

• scuba
        • Jan 2017

Thinking of it, the buoyant power in water is the most powerful power a balloon holds. Because most balloons holds a lot of air inside it and very little rubber material around it.
        I can give you some examples from my own experiences.
        In my thread about floating on a GL1200 I have written than finding the balance on the balloon is like breaking a wild horse. If it's a new balloon with a little too much air in it, the
        huge buoyancy will make the air travel around inside the balloon and it will feel like sitting on a wild horse. Let a little air out and the buoyancy will be just right so that you can keep your balance. These few liters of air holds a lot of buoyant power.
        It's the same if I float using modeling balloons. It only takes a few balloons wrapped around my body to feel their immense buoyant power.
        Last edited by scuba; 07-12-2017, 01:15.

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

I love physics! It's the principal of water molecules being tightly packed together versus air molecules being further apart...hence when one traps air molecules in a sealed envelope or vessel & submerges it in the denser water the liquid will naturally want to push it up. Same with helium...due to air molecules being larger & denser; the sealed helium molecules in a balloon will be pushed up by atmospheric pressure. & balloon will eventually reach a natural equilibrium when the density of the surrounding air matches the density of the helium inside. Yes even balloons have limits. A balloon will not keep floating up into outer space. If it manages to hold it's gas & doesn't pop from negative atmospheric pressure, it will strike a balance & stop going up....some one please correct me if I'm off on the physics in any way...
          I love how you compare the riding of a GL-1200 to the taming of a wild horse, scuba!
          Perfect analogy!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍