X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meililoon
    aka lyckr
    • Sep 2014

Balloon Reviews

Here it is, the thread where you can post your balloon reviews! To make it easier, we've made this form. Apart from the basic info, you can rate the different properties of the balloon you're reviewing from 1 to 5. So let's say that the balloon you're reviewing is very durable, you might give it a 5. However, if it pops easily, you might rate it 1 or 2. Feel free to explain why you rated it what you did.
    I'll make a catalog that includes every balloon that has been reviews and links to the reviews, so that if someone wonders what people think of a specific kind of balloon, he or she can easily find all the reviews of that balloon. To make this easier, please only review one balloon in each post, so that I can make links to specific posts (unless admins says otherwise )
    Now just copy/paste the form below and start reviewing

Brand:
    Size:
    Shape:

Overall rating:
    Durability:
    Reliability:
    Softness (New):
    Softness (Used):
    Neck:
    Overinflation:
    Loudness:
    Mess:

Price:
    Other comments:

EXPLANATION
    Brand: Self-explanatory
    Size: Self-explanatory
    Shape: Self-explanatory

Overall rating: What you think of the balloon overall (1-5)
    Durability: How much punishment the balloon can take before popping (1-5)
    Reliability: How reliable the balloon is (the less premature pops, the better) (1-5)
    Softness (New): How firm the balloon is at its rated size on its first inflation (1-5)
    Softness (Used): And after multiple inflations (1-5)
    Neck: How long and/or thick the neck is (1-5)
    Overinflation: How much bigger than its rated size the balloon can (relatively safely) get (1-5)
    Loudness: How loud it is when it pops (1-5)
    Mess: How much of a mess the balloon makes if it pops (1-5)

Price: What you can expect to pay for this kind of balloons
    Other comments: Anything else you have to say about the balloon
    Last edited by Meililoon; 21-09-2016, 00:22.
  • Meililoon
    aka lyckr
    • Sep 2014

Re: Balloon Reviews

Links to reviews:
    Cattex 16": lyckr
    Cattex GL1200: OverTheTop

Unique 16": lyckr

Tuf-Tex 17": LoudPopper
    Last edited by Meililoon; 28-06-2017, 17:50.

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

Brand: Unique
      Size: 16"
      Shape: Round

Overall rating: 4 - By go to balloon when I'm in the mood for popping.
      Durability: 3 - They're a little thin, but can still take a bit of punishment before popping.
      Reliability: 3 - Not the most reliable balloon out there. Some pops very easily or even prematurely, while others can get huge or endure being ridden hard.
      Softness (New): 4 - They're usually quite soft at rated size.
      Softness (Used): 5 - Gets even softer after multiple inflations.
      Neck: 4 - It's easy to neck (assuming it doesn't pop before you get that far). The neck is a little thin, but quite long.
      Overinflation: 3 - If you're lucky, these can get pretty big. A good one can get at least an inch or two bigger than rated size on its first inflation and even bigger after multiple, but they are prone to randomly popping when overinflated.
      Loudness: 2 - I've only popped them with earplugs, but they don't sound very loud compared to other brands.
      Mess: 2 - Usually doesn't create a lot of mess. Some smaller shreds has to be expected from blow to pops.

Price: One of the cheapest balloons in its size range on the market. Usually costs somewhere around €0.30
      Other comments: While not the best choice for non-poppers, it's low price makes it a good balloon for poppers. It's relatively easy to pop and not so loud, so it's suitable for novice poppers who doesn't feel ready for struggling to pop more durable balloons. They also have a really nice and smooth surface (especially the crystal colors).

Comment

• OverTheTop
        • Dec 2013

This might be better as a Google form or something but here goes.

Brand: Cattex
        Size: GL1200 (32" thick, 90" long)
        Shape: Airship/Zeppelin

Overall rating: 4.5
        Durability: 4.5 - very strong at rated size.
        Reliability: 5 - no defects in any orders so far!
        Softness (New): 3.5 - pretty tight on first few inflations...
        Softness (Used): 5 - ...but gets super soft with time and stretching!
        Neck: 2.5 - can get a decent neck with careful stretching and inflation.
        Overinflation: 4 - if you're careful you can get some insane sizes.
        Loudness: 4.5 - super loud if popped while overinflated before it gets soft.
        Mess: 1.5 - usually just splits down the middle or so.

Price: rather expensive, usually around $8 each, but definitely worth it!
        Other comments: great for riding/humping solo or together, and can support a lot of weight!
        Last edited by OverTheTop; 21-09-2016, 04:03.

Comment

• LoudPopper
          • Jan 2016

BRAND: Tuf-Tex
          SIZE: 17"
          SHAPE: Round/Pear

OVERALL RATING: 4
          DURABILITY: 5- At rated size, no problems at all holding static weight. Able to hold substantial amount weight when force is dynamically applied to it (e.g., a person weighing 175-180 lb. (approx. 80-82 kg.) should be able to sit and bounce with moderate intensity without fear of popping).
          RELIABILITY: 4- These balloons are double-dipped during manufacturing leading to a thicker latex with fewer imperfections. Despite double-dipping however, each balloon does not consistently inflate with the same pear shape like Qualatex due to the special latex blend that they are made out of. Perhaps 2-3 defects and 1-2 premature or accidental pops per 72 ct. bag. Typically will find a hole in the latex that prevents any inflation from the start, or it will start to leak after balloon is half-way filled.
          SOFTNESS (New): 2- Will start off soft until balloon is about three-quarters filled. After that point the balloon will very quickly tighten. At full inflation or overinflation the balloon is remarkably firm with some give, but it is definitely not “rock” hard.
          SOFTNESS (Used): 3 or 4- Much softer when balloon is re-inflated to standard size after stretching and re-inflation just one time. The balloon will tighten up very quickly again, but with less firmness If the balloon is inflated past its standard size.
          NECK: 3- Produces a respectable 4”-5” neck but nozzle becomes very difficult to grip at this point.
          OVERINFLATION: 4- Can inflate to around about 20” before popping on initial inflation. After just 2-3 inflations, the ballon can safely get up to 22"-23”. It can probably reach 24”-25” after a third inflation, but the latex gets very thin at this point and the balloon will burst without much more air.
          LOUDNESS: 5- A very loud balloon, regardless of popping method. Perhaps loudest by BTP or stomping. Interestingly, in addition to being one of the thicker balloons, the material used to make Tuf-Tex balloons creates a balloon capable of inflating well past rated size while remaining very tight (but not as hard) at maximal inflation before bursting. This creates lots of shards that recoil back to shape much faster than normal because the latex is under a considerably higher levels of stress relative to the degree of strain that the balloon is under at the point before breaking compared to most other brands. In other words, compared to other brands, there are many more shards making many more mini-"sonic booms” at a higher velocity when they snap-back; which translates into a bigger “bang”.
          MESS: 3 to 4- Usual breaks into 5-6 larger pieces when popping with pin or compressive force. Makes for a pretty messy clean-up when it pops with BTP. Usually shreds violently into lots of long “ribbon-like” shards that tend to go flying out in all directions and will stick to walls when close to them.

Price: In terms of cost, these balloons are about mid-range ($25-28) or a pack of 72. Not bad given they're quality in my opinion.

OTHER COMMENTS: Given how durable they are, these balloons are lots of fun and able to take a good amount of abuse when riding and sitting at rated size. They are a reasonably "soft yet firm” balloon making for a nicer squishier ride compared to other "harder” balloons. Tuf-tex balloons are also less of a “traditional” balloon, in that it is a hybrid latex material made with both natural latex and a plastic-like polymer that is mixed into it at a higher ratio than most brands. This blend give these balloons their unique properties as mentioned in the “Loudness” section, and gives them their special durability despite stretching to a greatly overinflated size. I’d say that these balloons are great BTP enthusiasts who enjoy a challenge and those enjoying a louder bang. They get huge under immense pressure, and they tend to tighten for a very long time while not changing much in size at max inflation leading to a lot of suspense right before the bang.

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

Size: 16" (sometimes labeled as 19")
            Shape: Round (fluted)

Overall rating: 3 - A tough and reliable balloon, but quite firm and with an unimpressive neck.
            Durability: 5 - Very durable balloons. The latex is quite thick and it can take a lot of abuse.
            Reliability: 4.5 - I haven't had one pop prematurely so far. I've had one with some holes in it though.
            Softness (New): 1.5 - It's quite firm when fully inflated.
            Softness (Used): 2.5 - It gets a bit softer after its first inflation, but it's still relatively firm.
            Neck: 2 - The neck is short and you need to overinflate the balloon quite a bit to make it appear.
            Overinflation: 4 - Depending on which labelling you trust, it overinflates nicely. They usually get to 18" just fine on the first inflation.
            Loudness: N/A - I've barely popped any of them, so can't tell.
            Mess: 1.5 - The few I've popped have made about five quite big pieces.

Price: Probably the cheapest 16" balloon from a well known brand on the market. You can get them for below €0.30, depending on where you buy them.
            Other comments: Personally I'm not a big fan of the very round shape.

Comment

• BYGavia
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LoudPopper
              BRAND: Tuf-Tex
              SIZE: 17"
              SHAPE: Round/Pear

[...]

OTHER COMMENTS: Given how durable they are, these balloons are lots of fun and able to take a good amount of abuse when riding and sitting at rated size. They are a reasonably "soft yet firm” balloon making for a nicer squishier ride compared to other "harder” balloons. Tuf-tex balloons are also less of a “traditional” balloon, in that it is a hybrid latex material made with both natural latex and a plastic-like polymer that is mixed into it at a higher ratio than most brands. This blend give these balloons their unique properties as mentioned in the “Loudness” section, and gives them their special durability despite stretching to a greatly overinflated size. I’d say that these balloons are great BTP enthusiasts who enjoy a challenge and those enjoying a louder bang. They get huge under immense pressure, and they tend to tighten for a very long time while not changing much in size at max inflation leading to a lot of suspense right before the bang.
              Superb review. One important detail was left out, however: the Tuftex 17” balloon, like others of its brand, does not have a long shelf life. Be mindful of this fact if you plan to hang on to a bunch for more than a couple of years.

Comment

• BYGavia
                • Dec 2017

Brand: Belbal
                Size: 36” / 90cm
                Shape: Somewhat round, almost pear-shaped

Overall rating: 3.5 — Also known as B350s, these magnificent balloons offer great fun, particularly for nonpoppers, though their size and cost may limit their usability.
                Durability: 5 — These things take a beating, though they can feel firm upon first inflation.
                Reliability: 4 — I’ve had a weak spot on one that, despite rough underinflated play, was never an issue.
                Softness (New): 2
                Softness (Used): 3.5 — The latex feels like a dream when used and underinflated.
                Neck: 1.5 — You’d have to do some serious prestretching and even be a little brave to neck this thing, though it can develop a slight bulb shape as you play with it.
                Overinflation: 4 — Can reach gradually bigger sizes through use. You may find it just wants to keep going and going...
                Loudness: ?
                Mess: ?

Price: About $5
                Other comments: Takes time and some lung power to inflate. Due to their size and cost, I would not recommend these for poppers. Instead, try the B250: it’s similar, smaller (24”), and may be found in various prints.

For nonpoppers, this balloon is a ton of fun, and feels great when inflated just enough to ride. Also fun with a partner.

This review was conducted by a nonpopper.

Comment

• Bounci
                  • Apr 2018

Brand: Qualatex
                  Size: 24
                  Shape: Round/Pear

Overall rating: 5 - And yes, prepare for a biased review. These loons are my absolute number 1 favourite out of them all and I don't think I could find a bad thing to say about them, haha.
                  Durability: 4.5 - Treated right, these balloons are nearly impossible to pop! By stretching, deflating slightly for use, and storing them carefully, this loon will let you go wild.
                  Reliability: 4 - Although I have never experienced any defect in a fresh bunch of these, they are no longer produced and it's possible that any being bought now have deteriorated because of age (as I found out, sadly).
                  Softness (New): 2 - Although the balloon stays quite pliable and bouncy, it keeps its tension very well, especially on first inflation. It stretches quite easily and feels tight to the touch.
                  Softness (Used): 4 - If left for a bit to oxidized or re-used a couple of times, they will become considerably softer.
                  Neck: 5 - There's not a high enough number to give. The Q24 is (to me) the sexiest, biggest, natural neck you can get on a balloon. It will pop out on pressure and can easily be worked to a beautiful big size, and also adds more strength to the balloon in general it seems.
                  Overinflation: 4 - Though there are brands that will stretch a lot quicker, these balloons cán be stretched and keep their integrity/strength even when they're a lot bigger.
                  Loudness: 4 - It's a respectable pop, but not ear drum shattering.
                  Mess: 3.5 - Depending on the method, they can make quite a mess. If it's a B2P expect it to get shredded. Hard to say much on this, as I've almost never popped them on purpose and they almost never pop by accident either.

Price: $3,50 - $50,00
                  Other comments: The sad thing is that these are no longer made. They're hard to find and if they are found, they can be very pricey. However, if anyone ever gets the chance to try one and they never have before, I would highly recommend it. These are a classic for a reason, and will be missed. ♥

Comment

• BYGavia
                    • Dec 2017

Size: 36”

Overall rating: 3.5 — Though perhaps less versatile than its deceased cousin, the Q24, the Q36 is still a solid balloon with much to offer for nonpoppers and daring poppers.
                    Durability: 4 — Very strong, particularly when new. Can still be just as strong when used if not inflated too far.
                    Reliability: 5 — Qualatex balloons are consistently reliable.
                    Softness (New): 2 — They tend to have the feel that they can get bigger — it just takes some stretching or play.
                    Softness (Used): 4 — Can get nicely squishy, even at larger sizes.
                    Neck: 1 — Though I’ve seen it done on YouTube, it’s got to be tricky.
                    Overinflation: 3 — When new, Qualatex balloons generally get tight right before they get dangerously big, and this one follows that rule. It will expand further when used, though mine have felt pretty squishy while also feeling somewhat fragile.
                    Loudness: 3 or 4
                    Mess: ? — I’m reluctant to score this as I’ve only popped them accidentally when they are well-used. It split into several large pieces.

Price: $3-$10, depending on the source, though Qualatex tends to package them in bags of two.
                    Other comments: Fun for some mindless sitting/bouncing. Jewel tone balloons feel slightly more elastic to me, but there are some fun solid prints like the smiley face or some holiday prints. Printed jewel balloons are definitely the best.

Though larger than the Q24, the Q36 has a smaller aperture. It’ll take longer to blow up, but it’s less of a struggle to keep on one’s mouth.

Last edited by BYGavia; 03-05-2018, 14:48.

Comment

• BYGavia
                      • Dec 2017

Brand: Amscan
                      Size: 24”

Overall rating: 3 — A moderately soft, fun round balloon. While not the most interesting balloon, its relative affordability and availability belie its quality.
                      Durability: 4 — Shockingly durable, perhaps due to its ability to expand surprisingly far.
                      Reliability: 4 — I’ve had good experiences, though weak spots can and do appear on occasion.
                      Softness (New): 3 — Delightfully soft for a new balloon, and willing to deform when pressure is applied.
                      Softness (Used): 4
                      Neck: 1 — Nope, sadly not happening here.
                      Overinflation: 4.5 — Unbelievable how much bigger past rated size these things can get.
                      Loudness: ? — I would guess it would be about as loud as a high-quality punch balloon, as that’s what the latex reminds me of.

Price: $7-$11 for a bag of four.
                      Other comments: The colors are absolutely wonderful! Fun, bright pastels are lovely. They also come in transparent clear, though they sometimes look clouded to me.

I highly recommend this balloon if you are on a budget or have limited options. They can be found on Amazon. I’ve heard they are also sold at Party City.

Last edited by BYGavia; 03-05-2018, 17:26.

Comment

• BYGavia
                        • Dec 2017

Brand: BSA
                        Size: 17”

Overall rating: 3 — One of those tough balloons made for outdoor display, the BSA 17” walks the line between being a fun, robust balloon (like a Tuftex 17”) and a boring, tight outdoor balloon.
                        Durability: 4 — Even with a neck, they are fun to bounce on (with care).
                        Reliability: 5
                        Softness (Used): 3.5
                        Neck: 3 — Not very difficult to neck, and can actually grow to a few inches.
                        Overinflation: 3 — You should be able to tell how far to go.
                        Loudness: ? — Probably quite loud

Price: About $25 for a bag of 72
                        Other comments: Even at capacity, the latex feels pretty nice. Not the softest balloon out there, but it feels strong and elastic without being too tight and unforgiving.

Poppers may get a kick out of this one as it can get a respectable neck.

Overall, if you want to buy a large amount of 16” or 17” balloons, I’d recommend Tuftex over BSA.

Last edited by BYGavia; 03-05-2018, 17:23.

Comment

• BYGavia
                          • Dec 2017

Size: 16”
                          Shape: Bulb

Overall rating: 2.5 — It’s not bad, but it’s not great, either. It’s a nice, relatively small balloon to have around every now and then, though it faces competition with the Unique 16” in my book.
                          Durability: 4
                          Reliability: 5 — Their reliability is probably their best attribute.
                          Softness (Used): 3
                          Neck: 2 — Can be necked with care.
                          Overinflation: 3 — Can stretch a bit, and it’ll typically get tight right before it gets dangerously big.
                          Loudness: 3 or 4

Price: $16 - $25 for a bag of 50, generally
                          Other comments: Reliability and quality are what you get here. The latex doesn’t feel as soft and smooth as a Unique 16”, but nonpoppers will appreciate the lower chance of random pops.

Jewel tones look and feel nice, but my personal favorite so far is the solid smile print. Any prints in general are good.

It would be interesting to get a popper’s perspective. As a nonpopper, I prefer slightly larger and softer balloons that are willing to expand a bit more.

Comment

• BYGavia
                            • Dec 2017

Brand: Jarty Party
                            Size: 18”

Overall rating: 1 — A sturdy (for a while) but unimpressive outdoor-type balloon. 18” is optimistic.
                            Durability: 4 — Durable, at least for a couple of days. Less so if overinflated.
                            Reliability: 3 — Reliability is fair over the first 24 hours.
                            Softness (New): 1 — Not much room for fun here...
                            Softness (Used): 2.5
                            Neck: 1
                            Overinflation: 3 — It’ll get a bit softer and a bit bigger, making it a bit more enjoyable. Be aware that spontaneous pops may happen after a few days.
                            Loudness: ?
                            Mess: 3

Price: About $9 for a bag of 30.
                            Other comments: The Amazon price tag may look tempting, but it’s not worth it for a nonpopper. They’re somewhat reminiscent of a cheap punch ball, but with a less fun shape and neck.

For similar (and better) balloons, try the Tuftex 17” or BSA 17”.

Comment

• someloonerguy
                              • Aug 2016

Size: 36" Long Neck
                              Shape: Bulb with elongated neck

Overall rating: 4
                              Durability: 5- Cattex balloons are well known for their ability to take a pounding. I'm a little over 200lbs and one of these balloons can handle my weight when it's at 32".
                              Reliability: 4- While no accidental pops while inflating I've had some with obvious glaring defects. These defects can be a major problem considering this balloons is made for the expressed purpose of being necked.
                              Softness (New): 3- Not the softest balloon when fully inflated the first time.
                              Softness (Used): 5- Amazing after four or five inflations. The balloon will lovingly wrap itself around you.
                              Neck: 5- Being made for necking these can get necks about a foot long and probably still take more. Being a larger balloon these are difficult to get stable necks and require pre-inflating the neck several times.
                              Overinflation: ? I really don't know, never taken one to that limit.
                              Loudness: 3- I'm a non popper and accidentally popped one while laying on it. It was inflated several times before and wasn't full sized when it popped, so take this rating with a grain of salt.
                              Mess: ? Haven't popped it in a way to make a mess

Price: $3 - $5 per loon
                              Other comments: An absolutely breathtaking balloon for neck enthusiasts and people who love taking balloons to the edge. People into balloon bouncing will also find that the specially designed neck will help the body of the balloon absorb the weight of bounces if the balloon's neck isn't inflated prior to bouncing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎