Does it make you nervous when someone unties an inflated balloon?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue548
    • Sep 2015

Does it make you nervous when someone unties an inflated balloon?

Hi all,

I'm a popper myself but would be interested to hear from non-poppers. Do you ever get nervous in a public place if someone gets a inflated balloon and starts playing with the knot? I can imagine this can be horrible as you may think someone will untie it and inflate it to a larger size, possibly popping it unintentionally or intentionally.

What would be your reaction as you heard the first woosh of air? I'm asking this as although I'm a popper, people should respect other people, as being a previous phobic myself the experience described above can be like torture wondering if the person will manage to untie the balloon.
  • Nopops4me
    • Jun 2015

Re: Does it make you nervous when someone unties an inflated balloon?

I know what it's like being a phobic, non-popper, but thanks to you lot I've become more comfortable with balloons around me. In 'blue548's' scenario I would think the torture starts as soon as the person starts to try & undo the knot, is the balloon going to pop while they struggle with the knot & then if they succeed is it going to be blown too big for what the latex can take. Usually this scenario is within a group who are egging the person on because they see it as fun & a challenge. Be kind to non-poppers, I've been there & it's horrible.

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

While I enjoy popping balloons when I'm alone (as long as I have some ear protection), as soon as someone touches a balloon anywhere I am, I get nervous.

Comment

• MalunEri
        • Sep 2015

I get aware if I'm anywhere and there even are balloons nearby.
        If anyone carries them or interacts with them in any way, I get nervous, and if anyone touches them directly at all, I start to get afraid.

If that someone is children or anyone I don't trust, I just freak out and want to leave immediately.

While my phobia comes and goes a little, depending a lot on the place and situation itself, I can safely say I'd be really nervous in the described situation. If it was a helium balloon, maybe less so, as the goal then usually is to inhale to make funny voices, but I would never feel comfortable as long as I knew someone are handling an inflated balloon nearby.

So please, consider us phobics a little

Comment

• marja

It is an interesting question. However, I wonder if it ever happens that people untie balloons on a social event (with the idea to further inflate them)?

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by marja
            It is an interesting question. However, I wonder if it ever happens that people untie balloons on a social event (with the idea to further inflate them)?
            I can't actually remember ever seeing it happen. It's usually either that someone get their hands on an uninflated balloon or they just pop the already inflated balloons using various methods.

Comment

• Kiltieman
              • Jan 2014

Im generally nervous when anyone handles a blownup balloon because I dont know what they will do with it. At parties some like to pick up balloons and then run their fingers over the balloon to make that horrible screeching npoise which usually ends up with a bang. Also I dont trust anyone blowing balloons up. I freak out when I see the balloon get anywhere near full. People trying to untie a knot would scare me too as its the anticipation of the loud bang that freaks me out. Having said that I blow balloons up to their utmost limit otherwise Im not happy but I seem to have developed a knack for getting them to just before the pop. I then struggle to tie them and love to feel the balloons as tight as possible.

Comment

• Masseylooner1
                • Feb 2017

I remember this happened to me when I was in McDonald's there was a family with 2 kids and they were both being really rough with the balloons, squeezing them with there fingers and hitting each other, it was a complete nightmare for me and I thought ugvcoukfhg get much worse, until one of them managed to tie it and he blew it up to sn incredible size I honestly didn't know how it hadn't have popped the neck with stretched out so far and he put it back to his lips, at the point I was so overwhelm by fear that I ran out telling my friends that I needed the bathroom, when I came back both balloons were gone and there were balloon pieces everywhere, I'm so grateful I didn't stay haha

Comment

• Heliumlooner
                  • Feb 2017

I usually dont care when some one play with the knot of a balloon I hate it when people play with the parts of a Balloon that are under stress. As for inflation I dont exactley feel nervouse when someone is blowing up a balloon, my feeling are kind of weird and diffrent I feel relife when some one finishes blowing a balloon to a nice size and ties the knot gets there fingers out and the baloon goes thump.

Comment

• Regular Guy
                    • Aug 2015

Haven't seen that happen with air-filled balloons yet.
                    Only with helium-filled balloons in order to inhale the helium for pitching one's voice.

Never saw someone untie a balloon in order to further inflate it.

If I will ever watch this, I think I would be very excited, maybe or probably I would get nervous at some point

Comment

• kosmos
                      • May 2017

I guess there's a first time for everything this happened only one time, and it's the only time i've seen it. Where i work at we used to inflate balloons qualatex 11" (now we use cheap crap rarely cause of latex allergies) we were having a grand re-opening and we put all the balloons in one box and as kids and people came in they were given it (of course i would have tied it tight) the balloons had an easy to inflate and (reusable) one way nozzle (some were tied also idk why), by the end of my shift night time some girls came in and took some of the oxidizing ones, one carefully untied one and started sucking the helium out, while another one did the same but after sucking the helium out she wanted to see "how big can it get" she really got it with neck way past 13" and kept blowing ,after 3 more breaths,eventually it popped into shreds but it wasn't a explosion, just a large muffled pop.

Comment

• Black_Bear
                        • May 2013

When I was much younger, 15 years ago or more, I remember being in a Pizza Hut where it was some other persons birthday. Pizza Hut have out balloons at that time. I think we're 9" though, as I don't recall them being big. But they had helium in them, and weren't sealed. The kids were older, and I was phobic at the time. They undid them all and inhaled the helium, and blew some back up to hit eachother with them. None were at risk to pop though. They were leaving at the time anyways, so it didn't really matter. But when we walked out of the restaurant I recall seeing balloon pieces everywhere near the door. I didn't see any pop, but I imagine they popped them all.

Comment

• Barcelona33
                          • Sep 2017

I do not remember what ever happened to me. but I would be nervous and I do not consider myself a non-poper.

Comment

• Dude1234
                            • Sep 2017

When I was younger it would really scare me because I had a fear of balloons I don't anymore though I Haven't seen anybody touch a balloon though recently it's a shame

Comment

• loonerdude44
                              Inflatable Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2017

Honestly I get nervous whenever I'm around balloons and other people, especially overinflated balloons. I usually try to avoid any situation which involves people and balloons. Not that it gets me hard or anything but I hate to see a perfectly good balloon be brutally destroyed. It always makes me sad when that happens. But yeah, if there's a person and they untie a balloon's neck I'll try to get the hell out of there.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎